Materials for Winemaking
Copyright 2016 The Winery at Wilcox
1867 Mefferts Run Road
Wilcox, PA 15870
Carboy: This is the glass “jug” that you need for the fermentation. Glass works better then a plastic bucket because it’s not porous so you can reuse with different juices without “flavors” mixing. We sell carboys in a 3 gallon, 5 gallon and 6.5 gallon. We can special order a Demi-John, that holds 15 gallons.

Bung: Is a rubber stopper that goes into the top of the carboy. It works with the Airlock

Airlock: The purpose of this is that when it’s placed in the bung on top of the carboy it allows the carbon dioxide gases that build up during fermentation to be released without air, dust or bugs getting into the carboy (wine). If you do not use something to release the gases your container will explode. You must fill the air lock with water to the 2 lines in the “bubble” part.

Hydrometer: This looks like a thermometer but larger, it comes with a tube to hold the wine for testing. The hydrometers we sell are triple scale: it measures the weight of the liquid in relation to water on a specific gravity scale; then the balling or Brix scale that expresses the percentage of sugar by weight; and the alcohol scale measures potential alcohol. To do the alcohol estimation you must do two readings: once before starting fermentation, and a second reading after the fermentation has ceased.

Beginner’s Book of Winemaking: This is a beginner’s guide. Before starting in on making wine, we recommend reading up on it first. The book we sell will walk you through the basic steps; explain terms, chemicals and equipment. The book also contains a few easy recipes to help you start out.

Brushes:We sell two types of brushes: Carboy brushes, which are larger and have an angled brush head. These are to scrub out the carboys; the angle helps to clean the ring on the bottom: Bottle brushes, which are smaller and straight, are used to clean out bottles that you plan to reuse. You always want to start a “new batch” in a clean and sanitized carboy, and should ALWAYS bottle your wine in a clean and SANITIZED bottle or your wine may “turn” bad from any left over residue.

Siphons and Bottle Fillers: Siphons are used to remove the wine from the carboy into the bottles; they use tubing, clamps and some have pumps to start the flow. Bottle fillers are a hard tube with a black tip with a small piston at the end; you attach the siphon tubing to the blunt end of the bottle filler and place the black tip end in the bottle, when the flow starts, pressing the piston down will allow wine to flow into the bottle, when you left up the flow will stop and you can move it to the next bottle.

Pinchcock:This is a metal or plastic clamp that is used on siphon tubing WITHOUT bottle filler. When left alone it pinches the tubing, stopping the flow of wine; when you squeeze the ends together it allows for the flow to go through the tubing into the bottle, letting go will again stop the flow.

Corkers: We sell two types of corkers, they are used for corking the bottle of wine. It is highly recommended that you do not try to shove or force a cork into a bottle using your hand, a hammer, or a mallet. This may result in a broken bottle = cut glass = a cut hand.
Hand Corker: a smaller unit that sits on top of the bottle and you place a cork into the slot and using both hands push down on two levers – compressing the cork and sliding it into the bottle. This is used for small batches of wine.
Stand Corker: more costly and larger; it’s designed to be bolted down to a stand or the floor, and is better for high volume bottling; the cork is placed in the top and when the lever is raised you can push down on the circular base to fit the bottle in, when you push the lever down the base locks in place holding the bottle tight so the compressed cork slides in. There is an adjustment on the top that allows for taller or shorter bottles to be used.

Corks / Bottles: Corks are the best stopper to use to seal the bottle of wine, air is wines enemy, corks allow for a snug fit. We sell only one type of cork that goes with the bottle sizes we sell. Bottles are the standard container to store your wine in. We sell clear and green glass bottles, you can order new bottles, or you can purchase used bottles that had our taster wines in them, the labels are still on these bottles however the glue is water soluble and after a good soak you can scrape them off. We only sell bottles by the Case = 12 bottles

Caps: These are for show only and are not needed for storage. We sell one type for regular bottles that slid over the top; we do not sell heat shrinking caps. We also carry a foil cover for sparkling bottles.

Bottle Drainer (bottle tree):This is a unit that holds bottles inverted so all the water dries out inside, it is a great space saver and will hold up to 45 bottles.

Titrets: Is a sulfite testing kit for a more advanced winemaker to check the levels of sulfites in their wine.

Acid test kit: Is used again by the more advanced winemaker to check the acid level of their wine.
Facts about Wine
Beginner's Guide
Materials Needed
Different Yeast Types
Chemicals Needed
Conversion Table